Understanding ICBC Accident Claims

If you drive a car in British Columbia, you must have coverage from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), a provincial Crown corporation. If you are involved in a car accident, your claim will be handled by ICBC.

Basic coverage includes hit-and-run protection. Many of your basic needs will be covered even if you are at fault. If the other driver is at fault, you will be able to claim against him or her and recover for more of your expenses.

When accident victims come to us they generally have many questions, including the question of why they should get a lawyer to represent them at all, if ICBC is supposedly working for them.

Our answer is simple: ICBC is there to provide for your basic needs after an accident, but is not “working for you.” Linley Welwood, however, is working for you, and is there to make sure that “basic needs” don’t turn into “as little as possible.”

More Than Just The Basics

We will help you claim for a number of losses and expenses, including:

  • Lost wages
  • Medical care
  • Rehabilitation
  • Assistance to take care of yourself, your family and your home
  • Pain and suffering
  • Out-of-pocket expenses
  • Future loss of earning capacity
  • Cost of future care

After an accident, many people believe that the money they are offered will be more than enough to cover all of their expenses with some left over. We’ve seen enough cases to know that may not be the case.

The money you are claiming is not a windfall, even if it looks like it at first. In many cases, it will run out long before you are fully recovered.

With our help, you can stop worrying about how to pay for your recovery and concentrate on the recovery itself.

Contact Linley Welwood LLP

Call our Abbotsford office at 604-850-6640 or email us to find out how to get the most out of your ICBC accident claim.